1. CDC, Deaths: Final Data for 2013 tbl.10, at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf.
2. Wintemute GJ, Parham CA, Beaumont JJ, Wright M, Drake C. Mortality among recent purchasers of handguns. N Engl J Med. 1999;341(21):1583-1589.
3. Peterson LG, Peterson M, O’Shanick GJ, Swann A. Self-inflicted gunshot wounds: lethality of method versus intent. Am J Psychiatry. 1985;142(2):228-231.
4. Miller M, Azrael D, Barber C. Suicide mortality in the United States: the importance of attending to method in understanding population-level disparities in the burden of suicide. Ann Rev Pub Health. 2012;33:393-408.
5. Owens D, Horrocks J, House A. Fatal and non-fatal repetition of self-harm: systematic review. Brit J Psychiatry. 2002;181:193-199.
Banner: the first lines of Homer’s Odyssey. The epic poem contains the most famous telling of the story of Ulysses and the Sirens.